Sunday, April 12, 2009

Greetings!

Greetings blog reader! The purpose of this blog is to keep all of my family and friends back home updated on my adventures working and living in Singapore, since I won't be able to call home much. It's also a way for me to record my adventure and have a forum for posting my pictures.

If you don't know the story of how and why I'm living in Singapore for 3 months this summer, let me enlighten you. I am working for a NGO (non-governmental organization) that provides legal aid to migrant workers in Singapore. Specifically, the organization that I am working with, H.O.M.E., provides legal aid mostly to domestic workers. You will see their name in the video I am posting. Another great link is a story Human Rights Watch did in 2005 on the plight of domestic workers. You can read it here. It's a great intro to, from speaking with my boss, what is going on in Singapore right now.

I will be working in the legal aid section, primarily doing international law research. I don't know too much else yet; HOME just hired a new attorney that will be starting the same week that I do, so I suppose I will be assisting her in whatever capacity I am needed.

I am so excited about this opportunity and the experiences and people I'm sure to encounter. I will try to keep the blog as up-to-date as possible, as I'm sure it will be much easier to keep a running diary of all my happenings than tell each of you individually. Thanks for reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment